Parent Volunteer Requirement
Parents of Ánimo students are responsible to contribute 17.5 hours of service to the school each semester or 35 hours per school year. Ánimo Ralph Bunche Charter High School offers many opportunities for parents to complete these 35 hours:
- A maximum of 10 minutes a day for checking child’s agenda book, helping with homework, and verifying all homework has been completed. **Off campus logs must be kept & submitted to an administrator in order to receive service hour credit.**
- A maximum of 10 minutes a day for logging onto PowerSchool to check student’s grades, check missing assignments in every class, and read daily bulletin. **Parents must use the assigned parent logins provided by the school in order to receive service hour credit.**
- Organizing school events through one of the Parent Committees
- Supervising at extra-curricular social activities: dances, field trips, etc.
- Taking your children on academic enrichment trips: visiting college campuses, museums, libraries, college fairs, etc. **Off campus logs must be kept & submitted to an administrator in order to receive service hour credit.**
- Donating special services to school: translating documents to Spanish, data entry, publishing parent newsletter, translating at school events, preparing school flyers/announcements, etc.
- Observing your child’s class or assisting your child/teacher in the classroom with their learning
- Helping teachers in classroom: especially during mid-terms and finals
- Attending monthly Saturday Parent Workshops
- Helping with set-up and clean-up for lunch
- Serving lunch and supervising lunch time activities every day
- Serving breakfast on Wednesday late start days and supervising before school activities
- Supervising/coaching after-school sports program
- Chaperoning curricular field trips
If you have a day off of work or would like to schedule times, please call the office. Parents who do not contribute 17.5 hours of service per semester will be put on probation and, at the end of the year, their status will be reviewed. The ultimate penalty will be when a student does NOT participate in the high school graduation ceremony because their parents have not completed their 140 hours of service (35 hours per year).
Student Homework Accountability
It is expected that students complete all homework assigned by teachers. Parents will be responsible for making sure that students have the resources, time, and environment to complete all homework. Ánimo Ralph Bunche encourages parents to check student’s homework assignments in the student’s agenda book every day. We highly recommend parents log these homework checks on the Off Campus Service Hour Log, which can then be submitted for service hour credit.